Monday, January 30, 2017

Guess Who's Back?

It's been a while.  Lots has happened. Big changes,  in and out. One thing that remains is my struggle to adopt a healthy lifestyle. I've been sick with the flu for almost 3 weeks and finally feel like myself again. So today I took a big step. Well, a couple thousand steps, actually. I ordered lunch from a spot down the street, a place I've ordered from many times.  I'd  hop in my car, drive the half mile down the hill, then the half mile back up, and not think twice about it. For some reason today, maybe the gorgeous weather after all the rain we've had,  maybe my fitbit beeping and buzzing at me to get my steps in,  whatever it was that inspired it,  I decided I was going to walk it. It may not sound like far for many people, but for me, I was almost laughing at myself as I took off on foot down the hill. Am I going to have to call my coworker to come and get me? But somewhere inside of me,  the fuel was lit, and I knew that I'd make it there and back,  and that I'd be doing it again sometime very soon.
Now, downhill was easy.  Easy peasy. Uphill, not so much.  My chest was pounding, my heartrate was up, which is an unfamiliar feeling to my body that it needs to get used to. My lungs struggled to take in air, my feet burned...but I was doing it.  Step by step by step. And I know it will be easier next time.  And even easier the time after that.  And someday I'll get to the point where I won't even think twice about it.  But damn it, today I'm proud of the fact that I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment