Monday, January 16, 2012

DO IT

I have been thinking a lot today about diets, and health, and food and nutrition in general.
I am trying to figure out why I will be on a roll for a while, doing great, feeling good, eating healthy and exercising, and then BOOM!  
It's like someone just flipped the switch, and despite my best efforts I can't get back on track.

I have been over 200 lbs since I was 12...I have the medical records to prove it.
This means that I have in one way or another been trying to lose weight or change my eating habits for 25 years.
25 years.
Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, 6 Week Body Makeover, Slimfast, Medifast, Atkins, nutritionists, advice (solicited or not) from friends, family, and strangers alike...I have tried it all, and most of them work...for a little while, anyway.
I need to take what I can from these 25 years of experience...yes, experience, not failures, and figure out what will ultimately work for me.

I don't want to be thin...I probably will never be.
I adore my curves...I just want less of them.
I want to feel better than I do now, be able to physically do things that I want to,  but I also want to still be able to enjoy food and cooking.

Moderation is one thing that has brought me success.  I can try to focus on that.
I am not one for 'all or nothing'...the second I know something is 'off-limits' you can bet I will be craving and dreaming, yes, actually dreaming about eating it.
Baby steps...they don't make the pounds come off like on Biggest Loser, but that's not necessarily healthy, either.
I also have found that when I try and incorporate more fruits and veggies into my day, I don't even have the appetite for any of the unhealthier things that get me into trouble.
Moving...exercise, walking, dancing, Wii-fitting, whatever it is...all very important.
Writing...in a food journal, blogging on here...part of my New Years plan and has been helpful in the past.
And last but not least...Breathing...mindful breathing, whether it is through meditation, my self hypnosis CD or 3 x 3 breathing...I have to do it.
I have to do it.
So do it.
DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment